Currently, there are no FDA-approved treatment options indicated for desmoid tumors.1 Once an accurate diagnosis has been obtained, there are several treatment approaches that may be recommended depending on the size, location, aggressiveness, and discomfort of the tumor.2-4
A multidisciplinary team can help you determine your treatment goals
An open, honest discussion about what your treatment goals are can be helpful in developing your management plan. It is recommended that your care team include specialists across different fields of medicine who have experience managing your condition.4 You can suggest that your surgeon and medical oncologist collaborate to determine the best treatment path for you.
There’s no one-size-fits-all treatment.
Melony, patient with a desmoid tumor
Current management options for desmoid tumors
- Riedel RF. Agulnik M. Evolving strategies for management of desmoid tumor. Cancer. 2022;128(16):3027-3040.
- Cancer.Net. Desmoid tumor: types of treatment. Accessed April 16, 2022. https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/desmoid-tumor/types-treatment.
- Penel N, Chibon F, Salas S. Adult desmoid tumors: biology, management and ongoing trials. Curr Opin Oncol. 2017;29(4):268-274.
- The Desmoid Tumor Working Group. The management of desmoid tumors: a joint global evidence-based consensus guideline approach for adult and pediatric patients. Accessed April 10, 2022. https://dtrf.org/wp- content/uploads/2020/02/Desmoid_Paper_2018_A4_RL_Web300-1.pdf.
- Referenced with permission from the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) for Soft Tissue Sarcoma V.2.2022. © National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc. 2022. All rights reserved. Accessed June 6, 2022. To view the most recent and complete version of the guideline, go online to NCCN.org. NCCN makes no warranties of any kind whatsoever regarding their content, use, or application, and disclaims any responsibility for their application or use in any way.
- Kasper B, Baumgarten C, Bonvalot S, et al. Desmoid Working Group. Management of sporadic desmoid-type fibromatosis: a European consensus approach based on patients’ and professionals’ expertise—a sarcoma patients EuroNet and European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer/Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group initiative. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51(2):127-136.
- Kasper B, Baumgarten C, Garcia J, et al. Desmoid Working Group. An update on the management of sporadic desmoid-type fibromatosis: a European Consensus Initiative between Sarcoma PAtients EuroNet (SPAEN) and European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC)/Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group (STBSG). Ann Oncol. 2017;28(10):2399-2408.
- Penel N, Cesne AL, Bonvalot S, et al. Surgical versus non-surgical approach in primary desmoid-type fibromatosis patients: a nationwide prospective cohort from the French Sarcoma Group. Eur J Cancer. 2017;83:125-131.
- Ballo MT, Zagars GK, Pollack A, Pisters PWT, Pollock RA. Desmoid tumor: prognostic factors and outcome after surgery, radiation therapy, or combined surgery and radiation therapy. J Clin Oncol. 1999;17(1):158-167.
- Easter DW, Halasz NA. Recent trends in the management of desmoid tumors. Summary of 19 cases and review of the literature. Ann Surg. 1989;210(6)765-769.
- Skubitz KM. Biology and treatment of aggressive fibromatosis or desmoid tumor. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92)6):947-964.
- Crago AM, Denton B, Salas S, et al. A prognostic nomogram for prediction of recurrence in desmoid fibromatosis. Ann Surg. 2013;258(2):347-353.
- Referenced with permission from the NCCN Guidelines for Patients® for Soft Tissue Sarcoma V.1.2020. © National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc. 2020. All rights reserved. Accessed August 4, 2022. To view the most recent and complete version of the guideline, go online to NCCN.org. NCCN makes no warranties of any kind whatsoever regarding their content, use, or application, and disclaims any responsibility for their application or use in any way.
- Mayo Clinic. Cryoablation for cancer. Accessed April 29, 2022. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cryoablation-for-cancer/about/pac-20385216.